Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Gluten Free Crab Rangoons

This is a recipe I found on www.glutenfreeforum.com for crab rangoon. They were, and still are, something I really missed from my "gluten eating days", along with much Chinese and Asian-American food. Enjoy!

"Oh YES! And they are oh so good! We have been perfecting this recipe for a while too......Hubby agrees that they are every bit as good as the Chinese restaurant!

What you need:
Vietnamese rice paper
Milk
Eggs
Rice flour
Corn starch
seasame oil
1 8oz pkg. of cream cheese
1 tbs of soy sauce
green onions
pkg REAL crab (they sell the real stuff in pouches now, so be sure to get it since the imitation crab has wheat in it...)

I make a VERY thin batter out of the milk, eggs, rice flour, corn starch and sesame oil. I don't know the exact measurements, but it probably isn't that important...I use equal parts corn starch and rice flour and just a little sesame oil to keep the batter from sticking in the deep fryer.

Then mix together the cream cheese, soy sauce, some chopped green onions, and a little bit (not too much) of the crab.

Then I take the rice paper and brush it with beaten egg on both sides (you may have to cut the rice paper at this point to get to the desired size. We use the large square ones, so we cut them into 4ths) Fill the middle with a spoonful of the cream cheese mix and then scrunch them up so they look like the ones from the Chinese food restaurant. We dust ours with rice flour then to keep them from sticking to the plate while we finished the rest. Once you are done with all of them dip them in the batter you prepared and deep fry at about 350* until they are brown. They are GOOD!"

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=16824&st=30

8 comments:

  1. I hope you're using a glute-free tamari sauce instead of actual soy sauce, since soy sacue has wheat in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound fantastic, can't wait to try it out. Found this through google, was craving some chinese and thought..why not? Someone may have figured it out.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually use a GF soy sauce, you just have to be very diligent about reading the labels. Thanks for highlighting this though, Xaaon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these tonight and they are AWESOME! I never thought to use rice paper for that. I have it in round, spring roll size and it made it a little tricky but worth it. These are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you soak the rice paper first or does brushing it with egg soften it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to dip them in the batter and found that the batter really isn't necessary. They are delicious. I used 6 oz can of drained crab meat with 8 oz of cream cheese. Also if you forget to buy green onion, you can just use a regular onion instead. Delicious ! Also, we didn't soak the paper but once it was brushed generously with egg on both sides, it was soft enough to fold. I used round rice paper too and just rolled it up, then folded the 2 sides in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to make the wrapper only I am going to cut them in strips. Then I am going to make a crab rangoon pizza! Gluten-free pizza crust, then spread the filling for the sauce, drizzle sweet/sour sauce then strips of wonton wrappers and bake! yummm

    ReplyDelete
  8. genius. Seriously making this for dinner tonight. I am SO excited as I haven't had crab rangoons in FOREVER and I am SO craving them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete